The instructions below are for users who have uninstalled a Zone Labs product, and have lost ALL Internet access.
** STEP 1 ** Boot into Safe Mode:
If you have Windows 98/2000/ME/XP, Reboot your system into Safe Mode (with NO networking if you have that option). Click on Start, Help, and type “Safe Mode” if you don’t know how to do this.
** STEP 2 ** Remove Registry Entry (Windows 95/98/ME ONLY) :
Important Advisory : Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious problems to your operating system (OS) which may necessitate the need to reinstall the OS. Please make sure you are able to perform these deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries. If you are not sure, you should seek help from someone who is familiar with editing the registry.
For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, click Start, Run, and type "regedit.exe". Click "Help," then "Help Topic." Click "Changing Keys and Values." Also, you should always make a backup (see your help files) of the registry before editing it.
- To edit the registry, go to Start/Run and type: "regedit."
- Navigate in the left pane to this entry and delete the appropriate key:
Click File, Exit to finish. (NOTE - If on reboot you get a VXD error, hit Enter. In this case, you will need to perform the REGEDIT sequence again from the normal Windows, since Windows didn't allow registry changes while in Safe Mode.)
** STEP 3 ** Remove Files:
o make sure that you can see the ZA/ZAP system files, if they are still on your computer, click Start, Help, then type either “hidden files” or “show all files” – one of these should tell you how to make sure ALL files are visible. Follow the instructions given. Be sure to change this back after you are done.
- Click Start, Find or Search, select your local hard drive, type in "VSDATA*.*" and click on the Search button.
- If you find any files named VSDATA95 or VSDATANT, delete them (you can do this from thesearch window).
- Now in the find field, type in "INTERNET LOGS", and click Search.
- You should see a folder - delete the folder. This removes the database files. They are recreated if you run ZA/ZAP again.
** STEP 4 ** Clean up deletions:
- Empty the trash (recycle) bin.
- Reboot your machine normally.
** STEP 5 ** Finish Uninstalling:
Now you should have your access back. Point your browser to www.zonelabs.com, click on Support, then on Technical Support, and then on Install/Uninstall. Select your operating system. Follow the instructions there to complete the uninstall. If any do not apply, simply continue on to the next.
NOTES FOR FUTURE UNINSTALLING:
- If you reinstall ZA/ZAP, and need to UNinstall again, be sure you always say Yes to delete all files, and say Yes to allow Truevector to shut down, or it cannot remove files properly. It is also a good idea to keep the file that you downloaded to install with.
- If you ever need to shut down ZA/ZAP while figuring out any configuration issues – On the Configure Panel, UNcheck the boxes to “Load At Startup” and “Show Shell Toolbar” if you have one (if not, then Right-click on the gray taskbar along the bottom of your screen, select Toolbars, and Uncheck the ZoneAlarm DeskBand). You can now reboot with no ZA/ZAP process running.